Thursday, April 17, 2014

Gardening in DC: Life lessons for April. Ouch

I made the mistake last weekend of actually planting my garden as well as doing some flower planting for my front yard. Actually, I am unsure of whether I made a mistake, but it does seem like I am flirting with disaster.

After spending about $100 on flowers, as well as trying to get more perennials in the ground so I don't have to spend $100 a year, things looked good. And then. Boom. Frost alert in DC. Here are these guys pissed off they are inside plastic after we were at 80 degrees earlier..







Now I think we have a micro-climate on the Hill, and I especially do because of all my brick in my backyard. My front yard is pretty much permashade though, at least after the leaves start to come in. So I try to get my sun intensive plants in high gear before the leaves come in in late May.. which sometimes aren't the best for frost. I covered these bad boys and I think I made it through.

The good news is that I didn't really plant much in my garden space other than some lettuce and other brassica type plants. I'll try to upload some photos, but things didn't look good so I took my seedlings inside. Hopefully, I'll have some good weather this weekend to get my cucumbers, toms and other stuff in, although I might wait on my toms until May.

Here are the little dudes now:



I took a class at the National Farmer Initiative  this winter and I really want to get started, so if there are any Cap Hill gardeners out there, let me know when you get your crops in. Right now my seedlings are going crazy in my cold frame!


No comments:

Post a Comment